Essential oils, known as nature’s living energy, are the natural, aromatic volatile liquids found in shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, and seeds. The distinctive components in essential oils defend plants against insects, environmental conditions, and disease. They are also vital for a plant to grow, live, evolve, and adapt to its surroundings. Essential oils are extracted from aromatic plant sources via steam distillation, and are highly concentrated and far more potent than dry herbs. While essential oils often have a pleasant aroma, their chemical makeup is complex and their benefits vast—which make them much more than something that simply smells good. Historically, essential oils have played a prominent role in everyday life. With more than 200 references to aromatics, incense, and ointments throughout the Bible, essential oils are said to be used for anointing and healing the sick. Today, essential oils are used for aromatherapy, massage therapy, emotional health, personal care, nutritional supplements, household solutions and much more.
Aromatherapy and Essential Oils:
Aromatherapy is the inhalation of plant oils, called essential oils, for improved physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Essential oils are the pure essence of the plant—often referred to as nature’s living energy—and can provide both psychological and physical benefits when used correctly. Essential oils can be used on their own for aromatherapy or with complementary natural ingredients, such as vegetable or carrier oils.
Aromatherapy for Improved Health and Wellness
Aromatherapy is one of many ways you can benefit from the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. When practicing aromatherapy, it’s vital that only pure, undiluted essential oils are used. Synthetic, perfume-grade products lack the necessary level of beneficial constituents and offer little or no positive effect.
The Science of Aromatherapy
When an essential oil is diffused, it’s inhaled and processed through the olfactory system, which then sends the therapeutic benefits of the aroma to the brain. Depending on the specific constituents in the oil, you may begin to feel the release of negative emotions, the soothing of undue muscle tension, or experience the cleansing effect of the oils as your body eliminates toxins. There are two ways to use essential oils for aromatherapy: inhalation and topical application.
When inhaling oils for aromatherapy, here are some commonly used techniques:
- Inhale essential oils directly—simply smell them straight from the bottle.
- Diffuse essential oils using a device that disperses the oil into the air in a micro-fine vapor. Young Living offers a line of essential oil diffusers that effectively spreads the aromatic benefits of essential oils through the air without damaging their important constituents.
- Use essential oils with a humidifier. Sprinkle a few drops of essential oil on a tissue or small cloth and place in front of the escaping steam. Avoid putting the oil directly into your humidifier, as it will float on top of the water instead of dispersing with the water vapor.
- Pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of essential oil. Lower your face a few inches over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel, then breathe deeply and slowly.
Essential oils can be applied directly to the skin. Be sure to read the label before using oils topically, as some oils must be first diluted with a carrier oil prior to use.
Key areas for topical application are:
- Crown of head
- Behind ears
- Upper back
- Over vital organs
- Soles and tops of feet
Steps for topical application are:
- Place 2–3 drops of oil in the palm of your hand or directly on the desired area.
- If placing oil in your hand, rub palms together in a circular motion and then massage oil onto the desired point of application. If applying directly to the desired area, massage the oil into your skin using a circular motion. Repeat as desired.
Young Living’s Most Popular Products for Aromatherapy:
- Thieves®: University tested for its cleansing abilities.
- Abundance™: Believed to attract positive energy.
- Purification®: Excellent for cleansing the air of impurities.
- Peppermint: Diffuse or apply topically for an energy boost.
- Lemon: Revitalizing and uplifting, this essential oil is high in antioxidants.
- Orange: Good for relaxation, this oil brings peace and happiness to the mind.
- Grapefruit: Has a great citrus aroma that is refreshing and uplifting.
- Citrus Fresh™: A relaxing, calming blend—great for adults and children.
- Joy™: Diffuse this oil for a refreshing, uplifting effect.
- Lavender: The most versatile of all essential oils, lavender oil is good for quieting the mind before bed.
- Peace & Calming®: Helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit.
- Essential Oil Diffuser: Disperses essential oils without heating so they retain their therapeutic benefits.
- Ultrasonic Diffuser: Atomizes cold water and essential oils, breaking up molecules into a microscopic mist.
- Travel Fan Diffuser: Introduces convenience and portability to essential oil diffusing.
Note: Essential oils are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply a carrier oil or pure vegetable oil to the area to dilute. Please read label direction for each individual oil before using.
Everyday Nutrition and Essential Oil Supplements:
Hectic schedules and increasing personal demands make eating a well-balanced diet seem impossible. The average person consumes only a fraction of the recommended nine daily servings of fruits and vegetables, and as a result needs nutrient-dense vitamins and minerals to supplement his or her diet. In fact, current research indicates that more than 64 percent of American adults are either obese or overweight—a 14 percent increase from 20 years ago.
Poor nutrition can lead to a variety of health concerns like fatigue, a compromised immune system, and poor digestion. Young Living makes it easy to combat these issues and incorporate better eating habits into your busy schedule. From the energizing, replenishing, and fortifying benefits of NingXia Red® to a wide array whole food-sourced multivitamins and great-tasting, essential oil-infused meal replacements, Young Living has unique, effective solutions!
Improved Wellness with Essential Oil Supplements
Infusing nutritional supplements with the added benefit of essential oils enables nature’s living energy to provide internal bodily support. Products like Longevity™ and Omega Blue™ contribute to overall wellness by balancing dietary insufficiencies and infusing the body with essential oils.
Multivitamins for Core Nutrition
The average person consumes only a fraction of required daily nutrients, so it is important to take vitamins and minerals to supplement your diet. Enhancing your diet with a whole food-sourced multi is an excellent way to ensure optimal wellness, regardless of age or individual nutritional requirements. The benefits of Young Living’s whole food-sourced multivitamins far surpass those offered by synthetic supplements.
Enzymes and Minerals for Core Nutrition
The modern diet is comprised primarily of convenient, pre-packaged meals. These nutrient-deficient choices are full of synthetic flavor enhancers and lack the important dietary minerals our bodies require. Young Living offers a variety of detoxifying enzymes and mineral supplements to help rid the body of unnecessary and potentially damaging substances.
Young Living’s Most Popular Product Recommendations for Everyday Nutrition
- NingXia Red: A superfood-sourced, essential oil-infused supplement, plus the vitamins and antioxidants your body requires.
- True Source™: The Young Living multivitamin with the widest array of whole food-sourced nutrients.
- Longevity™: A potent blend of fat-soluble antioxidants.
- Omega Blue: Clinically proven to supplement the body with crucial levels of omega-3 fatty acid nutrients.
- Life 5™: Probiotic that builds and restores core intestinal health.
- Essentialzyme™: An advanced multi-enzyme complex that promotes digestion and assists in the assimilation of nutrients.
- Mineral Essence™: An excellent way to provide the body with vital nutrients.
Emotional Health and Essential Oils
The natural properties found in essential oils produce a soothing, uplifting effect on the mind and emotions which allow for natural stress and depression relief. When an oil containing the optimum level of therapeutic constituents is diffused or applied topically, the result fosters a sense of emotional balance and well-being.
Essential Oils for Improved Emotional Wellness
Smell is the only one of the five senses directly linked to the limbic lobe—the emotional control center—of the brain. From anxiety to depression, fatigue to stress, essential oils have long been appreciated for their uplifting, calming, and clarifying effects on emotional wellness. By diffusing essential oils or applying them topically to targeted areas of the body, therapeutic constituents reestablish balance where stress, depression, or mental discomfort has disrupted healthy emotional function. To bring yourself into a natural state of emotional balance, consider using essential oils for aromatherapy and massage therapy.
Young Living’s Most Popular Products for Emotional Wellness
- Feelings Collection : Features six essential oil blends formulated to promote emotional clearance and self renewal.
- Valor®: An empowering combination of oils designed to enhance an individual’s internal resources.
- Peace & Calming®: Helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit.
- White Angelica™: A calming and soothing blend that encourages feelings of protection and security.
- Harmony™: Promotes physical and emotional well-being.
- Release™: Facilitates the ability to release anger and frustration.
- Clarity™: Promotes a clear mind and alertness.
- Gratitude™: Designed to elevate the spirit, calm emotions, and bring relief to the body.
- Trauma Life™: Formulated to help release buried emotional trauma.